Middle Creek

United Methodist Church

 

Our Heritage

Historical Pictures and Information

Middle Creek School, Route 4, Sevierville, TN  —undated picture provided by Icelona (Franklin) Cate

 

 

  In the earlier years of the Middle Creek community the Church and School were near the center of the Community.  Just across the road (Middle Creek) was a train depot and country store.  Neither exist any longer,  some traces of depressions and graded cuts from the railroad can be fund with some searching.  The train — Smoky Mountain Railroad  ran from Knoxville to Pigeon Forge.  As the population shifts  with new roads and subdivisions our history changes.  However we are interested in exploring the past as we progress.  If you have any old pictures or documents  of the Middle Creeks past please contact     tomrckr@yahoo.com               

Middle Creek Methodist Episcopal Church, Route 4, Sevierville, TN  —undated picture provided by Icelona (Franklin) Cate

 

 

Middle Creek Methodist Church Beginnings:

For Centuries, Methodist gathered to praise God near  this beautiful spot in Sevier County.  Since 1787, Circuit riding preacher served this area. The first Methodist Bishop in America, Rev Francis Asbury, visited the area 1808. 

   During the early 1800’s, folks from the community and beyond would travel with their horses and wagons to gather here for week-long revivals. By 1822, this location became known as the “Middle Creek Campground.” Services were held under a big tree overlooking the local terrain. Families either camped out for weeks or built temporary log huts.

   In 1851, land was donated to build the first Middle Creek sanctuary, a log structure.  That deed charged the trustees to build a “ Methodist Church or meeting house for the worship of Almighty God.”  The stately structure where the church now holds services was dedicated on May 18, 1902.