"The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church."
We are women of purpose, vision, faith, and mission. Through our work and financial support, we make a positive difference to many individuals in our hometowns and communities all around the globe.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS WE DO?
- We work to help meet the needs of women children and youth around the world through global mission projects and programs.
- We encourage participation in mission education events such as the Conference Mission Education Event (formerly the School of Christian Mission), and district-wide mission studies. We encourage involvement in the Reading Program, the Mission Today Program, and very many hands-on mission projects.
- We promote and encourage spiritual and educational activity through attendance at our Sisters in Service Retreat, the Spiritual Enrichment Experience, the Social Action Workshop, the Mission Education Event and the Annual Meeting.
- We communicate continuously throughout the year with Conference-wide United Methodist Women through our quarterly publication, the Holstonian, our annual event brochures, an annual calendar publication, mass e-mail letters and, most recently, the distribution of our newest UMW brochure (written in both Spanish and English) with a focus on membership nurture and outreach.
- We salute women who work to become 5-star women, and units who become 5-star units.
- We publicize District Executive Teams within the pages of our Conference Website and embed their district newsletters online as requested.
- We encourage leadership through our annual leadership training programs.
- We support and interact with mission agencies within Holston Conference which are related to United Methodist Women, Inc.
- We promote local units' obserance of UMW Sunday utilizing speakers who support and interpret the Purpose and mission work of United Methodist Women.
- We work to increase and energize membership
through active outreach to women of all ages through
our many events.
- We encourage our District Teams to provide scholarships which will introduce others to UMW through Conference events.
- We encourage attendance at all District and Conference Events!
- We actively participate in communion and memorial services.
- We are women organized for mission ... in this
regard, we give not only of our gifts, abilities and
personal time, but we write personal checks, we
raise funds to feed the hungry, funds to cloth those
in need, and funds to supplement vital programs
already underway throughout the Conference.
To increase awareness and understanding of true racial justice, we work to stay informed, to advocate and distribute information including, but not limited to: Human trafficking, immigration, Sudan, Haiti or economic factors affecting women, children and youth.
- To sumamrize, if I were to list all that Holston Conference United Methodist Women do, this webpage could not begin to contain it.
We invite you to explore how you can share the gift that is YOU, your compassion, interests, and abilities, with those in need through membership in the United Methodist Women of the Holston Conference. Come, get to know us ... come and grow with us!